Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Healthy People, Healthy City - Making Vancouver a leader in urban health
Friday, 22 June 2012 from 8:00 AM to 12:40 PM (PDT)
Vancouver, British Columbia
Join the City of Vancouver and our key partner Vancouver Coastal Health as we discuss the development of a bold and ambitious plan for social sustainability for the City of Vancouver – the Healthy City Strategy.
Moderated by Vancouver's Chief Librarian, Sandra Singh, 'Healthy People, Healthy City' will feature:
- Local people and programs involved in groundbreaking work in urban health:
- The Way to a Healthy City is Through its Belly: Vancouver’s Neighbourhood Food Network Movement. Zsuzsi Fodor, Community Developer & Food Systems Consultant, and Wendy Mendes, Social Policy, City of Vancouver
- RainCity Housing: Creating Opportunities for Healthier Housing. Bill Briscall, Communications Manager, RainCity Housing and Support Society
- CitizenU: young leaders tackling racism, discrimination and bullying. Steven Dang, Social Policy, City of Vancouver with participants from CitizenU
- Improving Methadone Maintenance Therapy Through Courage and Collaboration. Laura Shaver, Vice-President, Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users (VANDU) with Mary Clare Zak, Director, Social Policy, City of Vancouver
- Strategic Partnerships to Increase Employment for Aboriginal People. John Webster, CEO, Aboriginal Community Career Employment Services Society (ACCESS) with Paul Mochrie, General Manager, Human Resources, City of Vancouver
- SACY - an Uncommon Approach to Drug Abuse Prevention. Art Steinmann, Manager, Substance Abuse Prevention (SACY), Vancouver School Board
- Compulsive Hoarding, not just a TV show. Lynn Urekar, Property Use Inspector, City of Vancouver
- Walking the Talk: Mobility, Health and the Built Environment. Joanie Sims-Gould, PhD, Research Associate, Knowledge Translation, Centre for Hip Health and Mobility with Meghan Winters, PhD, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University
- Keynote speaker Andre Picard, award-winning public health reporter at The Globe and Mail and acclaimed public policy consultant.
- A panel discussion with leaders in health and social sustainability including:
Romi Chandra Herbert – PeerNetBC, Coordinator & Community Developer
Trevor Hancock – University of Victoria, Professor and Senior Scholar
Lynda Gray – Urban Native Youth Association, Executive Director
Patty Daly – Vancouver Coast Health, Chief Medical Health Officer
Andrew Petter - President and Vice-Chancellor, Simon Fraser University
We look forward to sharing our Healthy People, Healthy City vision on Friday, June 22, 2012 from 8:30am to 12:45pm. (Check-in open at 8am) at SFU’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts.
For more info on the City of Vancouver's Healthy City Strategy, please click here: http://vancouver.ca/healthycity/index.htm
When & Where
City of Vancouver
Welcome to the City of Vancouver
Bordered by the Coast Mountain Range and the Pacific Ocean, Vancouver is recognized as one of the world's most livable cities with one of the smallest carbon footprints of any major city in North America.
The City of Vancouver is renowned for its innovative programs in the areas of sustainability, accessibility and inclusivity. In February 2009, Mayor Gregor Robertson launched the Greenest City initiative with a goal to map out how we can earn the title of becoming the greenest city by 2020.